EA Community Building Grants Applications Openpost by KatieGlass · 2019-01-31T19:41:23.901Z · EA · GW · 3 comments
Effective Altruism Community Building Grants is a project run by the Centre for Effective Altruism (CEA), providing grants of between $5,000 and $100,000 to individuals and groups doing local effective altruism community building. The main type of application we receive is for funding for group leaders to conduct part-time or full-time paid work with their groups, though we also accept applications for more general EA community building projects.
We expect successful applications to have the following:
- EA expertise
- Adherence to CEA’s guiding principles of effective altruism
- Excellent judgement
- Skill at EA community building
- Understanding of EA community building
A high-potential EA group:
- An inner core of well-coordinated organizers
- Stable, highly-engaged group members
- A goal-oriented activity portfolio
- A record of past success in attracting talented, dedicated people to make significant contributions to the most important problems
The main stages of the application process and the estimated times it will take for grantees to complete are as follows:
- Short Application - about 10-30 minutes.
- Long Application - about 3-8 hours.
- Interviews - about 1-2 hours.
For the current round, we will have a budget cap of $150,000, though we are not committed to granting the full amount. This makes the current funding round significantly smaller in scale than the previous round in Spring 2018, which granted a total of $623,000.
We are waiting on the completion of an impact evaluation for the previous grants before deciding upon significantly scaling the project. As such, this round is for highly promising, time-sensitive opportunities that we’d be willing to commit to before the completion of the impact evaluation. Given the above, the bar for successful applications will be higher than the previous round.
Please let us know if you need us to make a decision within a certain time period. In order to apply, please complete the short application form.
For further information about EA Community Grants, including the rationale behind the project and the kinds of applications that we would like to fund, see the following posts:
- Announcing Effective Altruism Community Grants [EA · GW]
- EA Community Building Grants Update [EA · GW]
To apply for smaller amounts of EA group funding, see the following page:
If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. If you would like to learn more about the experience of current EA Community Grant Recipients, the following grantees have said they would be happy to take questions:
- EA Norway - Eirin Evjen and Jorgen Ljones - post[at]effektivaltruisme.no
- EA Cambridge - Eve McCormick - evemccormick410[at]gmail.com
- EA Estonia - Risto Uuk - ristouuk[at]gmail.com
Comments sorted by top scores.