Examples of self-governance to reduce technology risk?post by Jia · 2020-09-25T13:26:17.397Z · score: 29 (13 votes) · EA · GW · No comments
This is a question post.
I'm searching for examples of self-governance efforts to reduce technology risk. Do people have cases to suggest? The more similar to AI development the better.
Examples from academia:
- Leo Szilard and other physicists coordinating to prevent Germany from obtaining atomic bomb data, 1939-1940
- Various efforts in biotechnology:
- Asilomar conference on recombinant DNA, 1975
- Mutations Database Initiative, 1999-2001
- Synthetic biology conferences SB1.0 and SB2.0, 2006
- Biology journals discussing publication restrictions, 2001-2011
Examples from the commercial sector:
- DNA synthesis companies screening orders and buyers, 2004-2012
- Efforts by the nanotechnology companies in the US, UK and Europe, 2004-2007
Comments sorted by top scores.