Donate Your Christmas to GiveWell Charities!post by Joey · 2015-12-10T19:56:58.422Z · score: 9 (9 votes) · EA · GW · Legacy · 1 comments
"People often ask us how they can help spread the word about effective charities. One way is to ask friends and family members to donate to effective charities in lieu of giving presents during the holiday season."
‘Donate Your Christmas’ is happening for its second year and has already raised ~$40,000 (not counterfactually adjusted yet).
You may consider joining because:
- Each fundraiser raises, on average, $750 for GiveWell recommended charities with minimal effort (the time it takes to set-up a page and share it with your friends).
- Last year the most successful fundraisers raised tens of thousands of dollars, so the potential upside is large.
- It gives you an opportunity to talk to your friends and family about effective charities.
- May especially suit people who have free time, but little free money (e.g. students), or people with wealthy social contacts, so they can raise more money with the same effort).
You can fundraise through any of Charity Science’s Christmas Fundraiser pages to any GW charity:
American signup - christmas.causevox.com
British signup - ukchristmas.causevox.com
Canadian signup - cachristmas.causevox.com
(select the country where most of your donors will be donating from)
Or if you want to fundraise for AMF specifically (or want to make use of tax-deductibility outside of the three countries listed above) you can create a fundraiser directly on AMF’s website:
All you have to do is:
- Sign up
- Tell your friends and family that instead of material gifts, you’d love donations.
- Post about it on Facebook and email the fundraiser to your friends and family
Comments sorted by top scores.