[Meta] Up and down voting should be added next to the circles with the scores (to the left of this title), like on Redditpost by joshjacobson · 2015-12-06T19:41:28.166Z · score: 5 (15 votes) · EA · GW · Legacy · 15 comments
- Posts of drastically different quality often receive nearly identical numbers of upvotes.
- The majority of posts receive scores in the single digits.
Why This is a Problem:
- Voting exists to serve as a feedback mechanism. When it is only being used to a limited extent, it fails to serve this purpose. Relative vote totals are meant to serve as a filtering mechanism for the reader, and a feedback mechanism for the posters. I hate to see such low vote total for really excellent posts, as those deserve greater recognition of effort / accomplishment.
- Allow for up and down voting next to the circles that have post scores, on a trial basis. This involves adding it in two places, the front-page and at the top of each post.
- This is likely to be successful at increasing voting activity, simply by making voting more accessible.
Concerns and Determining Success/Fail:
- I assume voting was implemented in the way it is currently in order to ensure posts weren't up and downvoted simply based on their headline. This was sound rationale, but I believe it has not succeeded in practice.
- This experiment will have succeeded if voting activity increases, and it is generally felt that voting more accurately reflects post quality. If this leads to more clickbaity posts, or quality longer posts not being rewarded in the voting, this will have failed and should be reversed.
Comments sorted by top scores.