Young People of EA - Database of Friendly Contactspost by Madhav Malhotra (madhav-malhotra) · 2023-03-18T12:39:01.073Z · EA · GW · 2 comments
Many young people in EA struggle to find belonging/acceptance in pursuing EA-aligned careers in high school, university, and their early career. It's hard to stay committed to these goals when most people around you are just interested in personal security, getting a degree, or making money.
If you're lucky, you might have a small EA club at your university. Or you might get accepted into a fellowship to learn about shared interests. Still, these opportunities are limited in quantity and time. Also, from personal experience at two university clubs and three fellowships, there's a lack of opportunities to develop personal, not just professional, relationships.
To get around this, I'm creating a database of young people in EA hoping to meet 1-on-1. The intention is to avoid being prescriptive with why/how people reach out. Also, to take a small first step in gauging interests for more personal, 1-on-1 connections among young people in EA.
Some potential ways I could imagine people using the information:
- To make new friends.
- To have discussions with others interested in similar cause areas.
- To find collaborators for student projects/research.
- To find others interested in EA in regions without a university club.
Use this one-minute form if you'd like to take part in the database. I'll reach out in about a week to share the information everyone submitted :-)
- None of the information is sensitive and most is optional.
- I'll only share records with submitters I can verify to be human.
- All the records will be deleted in one month after release. The intention is to set up a quick test and perhaps more 'official' EA organisations could act on the insights.
- If you'd like me to delete your data before a month, feel free to DM me on the forum :-)
Comments sorted by top scores.
comment by Rasool · 2023-03-22T11:43:32.377Z · EA(p) · GW(p)
Have you looked at EA Anywhere? You might be able to set up something up through thatReplies from: madhav-malhotra
↑ comment by Madhav Malhotra (madhav-malhotra) · 2023-03-22T21:49:53.148Z · EA(p) · GW(p)
This is certainly a useful resource for those who live in areas without the effective altruism groups around them! Thank you for sharing :-)